Husqvarna 1600/1640 LA caliber change

This is our interntional part of the forum. In this forum we discuss hunting, shooting, firearms, reloading and much more.
Feel free to ask us anyting in english about the topics mentioned above in this part of the forum.

Moderatorer: Ulrik, Trond Åsly, taxen, Stefan.K, potatiskastare, PerN, mecke, Kari Lindström, Fritz Kraut

Galdu

Husqvarna 1600/1640 LA caliber change

Inlägg av Galdu »

Hi, and greetings from Finland!

Has someone done hva 1600/1640 cal 6.5x55 rebarreling to a larger cal. Ie. 6.5x284?

I talked with a local gunsmith some time ago and he told me that the 1600 -series lock should generously bear the pressure. He said that one major thing is the 3rd locking lug (located in the back part of the bolt), other is the strength of the metal (greatly stronger than 1900 mauser bolts).

Asking out of curiosity. Just sent my 1600 to gunsmith for rebarreling (70 cm 6.5x55). I've been following this forum for some time now. User "Dansken" writings of the bedding job to boyds stock were a great inspiration to me. Bedding the whole action (+rear pillar) was not an easy job, but end results really made me happy :)

Great forum!
Kabren

Re: Husqvarna 1600/1640 LA caliber change

Inlägg av Kabren »

Bullet weight may be less a factor in your friends two rifles than than simply the variation of performance with different factory loads that is common. My own Husqvana .30/06 shoots equally well with 150 and 180 grain bullets, in my handloads. It shoots Remington 180 grain factory loads almost as well. The load preference is hard to predict- I have a Winchester rifle that shoots much better with a particular Remington load than with any Winchester load I have tried and another Winchester that shoots better with a certain Winchester factory load than with any of my handloads to date. Mostly I only shoot factory loads until the loading dies arrive but it is nice to have a factory load (hopefully a cheap one) that performs well in a particular rifle. After 50 years since manufacture, it definately is worth looking inside the stock for cracks in the wood behind the recoil lug and behind the magazine well. This is true for any rifle of similar age- not just Huskies. Enjoy the rifle!