Hi from Australia

This is our interntional part of the forum. In this forum we discuss hunting, shooting, firearms, reloading and much more.
Feel free to ask us anyting in english about the topics mentioned above in this part of the forum.

Moderatorer: Ulrik, Fritz Kraut, PerN, taxen, Kari Lindström, potatiskastare, Trond Åsly, mecke, Stefan.K

Hi from Australia

Inläggav Finnscout » 23 apr 2017, 02:50

I've been a member for a while and I thought this would be the
best place to say Hi.
I'm a Builder here in Australia and enjoy all the usual outdoor activities and have
a passion for older Sako rifles, that being what lead me here to the robsoft forums.
Hope to contribute from time to time if I can get over the language barriers.

Cheers,

Aaron
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Re: Hi from Australia

Inläggav HeyZeus » 23 apr 2017, 03:12

uwotm8?
HeyZeus

Inläggav tanden » 23 apr 2017, 03:23

Welcome!
Nice to hear from the other side of the globe!
Who dosent have a passion for old sako rifles? ;)
Started my hunting 14years old with a 30-06 built in the early 60s.
Still takes it out in the woods for pighunting.
My dad owns it now days so i borrow it from him to remember my youth!
Were only allowd to have 6 hunting rifles in sweden so had to let it go... But still in the family!
Do you have laws that regulate number of guns you can own in Australia?
22lr 6.5x55 30-06 9.3x62 12/76 12/70 6.5x55/12
spader ess i ärmen, hjärter dam under kudden
Det är kul när det smäller!
Användarvisningsbild
tanden

Inläggav Finnscout » 23 apr 2017, 03:54

HeyZeus skrev:uwotm8?

Sorry mate, can only understand English !

tanden skrev:Welcome!
Nice to hear from the other side of the globe!
Who dosent have a passion for old sako rifles? ;)
Started my hunting 14years old with a 30-06 built in the early 60s.
Still takes it out in the woods for pighunting.
My dad owns it now days so i borrow it from him to remember my youth!
Were only allowd to have 6 hunting rifles in sweden so had to let it go... But still in the family!
Do you have laws that regulate number of guns you can own in Australia?

Hi Tanden, it's enjoyable reading some of the posts from your part of the world.
Hard to grasp the lingo though and I'm sure the translation app I use doesn't capture it properly !
I also started hunting/shooting in my early teens with my grandfather, with an old Anschutz .22 though.
Was a while before I could afford a Sako and I think the rifles from that era and earlier display the best qualities,
to my tastes anyway. Nice to know yours is still in the family.
I believe that the state of Western Australia is the only state that regulates the number of firearms you can own.
Where I live there are no set limits though I think once you own a large number your safe storage requirements may change.
Semi auto rifles and shotguns are heavily regulated here and you must have a 'special' need to obtain such a licence.

Cheers
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav tanden » 23 apr 2017, 04:48

I think the price of "my" sako where about 350 US dollars.
With a crapy scope... Now there is a meopta r2 2-12#50 mounted.

What do you have to pay for a sako finnbear?

Its always interesting to hear about the world outside the north!

What kind of animals do you hunt and in which way?
22lr 6.5x55 30-06 9.3x62 12/76 12/70 6.5x55/12
spader ess i ärmen, hjärter dam under kudden
Det är kul när det smäller!
Användarvisningsbild
tanden

Inläggav Finnscout » 23 apr 2017, 05:42

Between $1000-$1500 au will get you a 'standard' Finnbear in very good to excellent condition.
The deluxe models commanding a fair bit more depending on condition.
Usually hunting rabbits,foxes,pigs or deer, on foot, with a Sako over my shoulder !
Now, most of the time with my son by my side.
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav Melker » 23 apr 2017, 06:44

Swedish is a very easy language to learn, even small kids speak it here :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

I use a Sako Finnbear 30--06 for deer, wild boar and moose.
I also have a P54 in 22LR for target practice.
Användarvisningsbild
Melker

Inläggav Finnscout » 23 apr 2017, 08:14

Melker skrev:Swedish is a very easy language to learn, even small kids speak it here :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

I use a Sako Finnbear 30--06 for deer, wild boar and moose.
I also have a P54 in 22LR for target practice.

Hi Melker, there's some lingo I can understand :D
But have you heard of the old dog learning new tricks ? :wink:

Thanks for the welcome, two fine rifles you have there.
I had my P54 out last weekend hunting rabbits, can it get any better ?
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav jdrotz » 23 apr 2017, 11:13

Australia - Home of the great Woodleigh bullets :-) Welcome to the forum!
Med Swazikläder och en grovsing är man rustad för det mesta;-)
Användarvisningsbild
jdrotz

Inläggav Levon » 23 apr 2017, 13:13

8 posts and no Crocodile Dundee jokes yet?

Aussies are always awesome from my experience, welcome!

Do you know Steve Lee?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU
Vänsterskyttarnas klubb: http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62591&start=440#p1820200
Användarvisningsbild
Levon

Inläggav Finnscout » 23 apr 2017, 13:29

jdrotz skrev:Australia - Home of the great Woodleigh bullets :-) Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome jdrotz. Yes, the Woodleighs are well regarded.

Levon skrev:8 posts and no Crocodile Dundee jokes yet?

Aussies are always awesome from my experience, welcome!

Do you know Steve Lee?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Hi Levon, I don't know Steve, or Mick Dundee, but both are Aussie icons in their own way !

Cheers mate.
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav redtop » 23 apr 2017, 14:02

Hi Finnscout and welcome to the forum!

Could you please tell a little about hunting in Australia? Regulations, spieces, hunting methods etc.
I guess there are several invasive spices, like rabbits, wild dogs and foxes, that can be hunted quite freely?

Cheers! /RedTop
Användarvisningsbild
redtop

Inläggav Levon » 23 apr 2017, 14:14

Melker skrev:Swedish is a very easy language to learn, even small kids speak it here :wink:

can't be too hard to find a Swede down under either, seems like a rite of passage for alotta young Swedes do do a work/travel year in Australia. I have several friends who got stuck down there :mrgreen:

my cousin lived there for a couple of years, it was a horrifying experience driving with her for a couple of years after that :lol:
Vänsterskyttarnas klubb: http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62591&start=440#p1820200
Användarvisningsbild
Levon

Inläggav Finnscout » 24 apr 2017, 14:40

redtop skrev:Hi Finnscout and welcome to the forum!

Could you please tell a little about hunting in Australia? Regulations, spieces, hunting methods etc.
I guess there are several invasive spices, like rabbits, wild dogs and foxes, that can be hunted quite freely?

Cheers! /RedTop

Hi RedTop, thanks for the welcome !

There are many opportunities for hunting in Australia and regulations vary from state to state.
Access/legal permission to private property is a good start and a valuable asset to most hunters.

Public land hunting is also available in four states (incl.NT) that I'm aware of -

NSW - http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting
Victoria - http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/Licensing
Northern Territory - https://nt.gov.au/leisure/hunting-and-s ... d-shooting
Tasmania - http://www.forestrytas.com.au/hunting

The remaining states outside Western Australia have opportunities also such as paid self guided hunting on private land
and fully guided hunting on private land.

I believe you must have land owner permission to hunt anywhere in Western Australia and the ACT
(Australian Capital Territory)

There are rifle ranges in every state, membership is a usual condition of use.

Invasive species were actually introduced by 'Acclimatisation Societies' in the 1800's for the benifit of hunting.
Rabbits being the most destructive and continuing efforts are always in force. It's nice to have a few about but
in big numbers they do some real damage.
Foxes are quite plentiful and apart from the predation on our unique native animals,
they are also a pest to farmers, preying on new born lambs amongst others.
The feral cat far out weighs the fox for stealth and cunning and is always a welcome target.
Wild dogs/dingo crosses are becoming an increasing problem to farmers and the general public in some areas.
Bounties on fox and dog scalps are in force in two states.
Feral pigs are wide spread, numbers vary but more are found in warmer and more remote areas.
I believe deer are found in varing numbers across the country, six species. Rusa, Red, Fallow, Chitel,
Sambar and Hog Deer.
The status of deer varies from state to state, rightly considered a 'game' animal in at least three states,
a pest in others.
Banteng and Asiatic Water Buffalo are in the Northern Territory.
Camels in the arid parts of Northern Territory, South and Western Australia.

Game birds, apart from our own native ducks and quail can really only be found
on private game reserves.

Hunting methods vary also, stalking on foot would have to be the most common.
Hunting from a high seat or tree stand is becoming popular, mainly for deer hunting.

Shooting from a vehicle at night or on foot with a spotlight is generally for pest destruction
or by professional kangaroo shooters shooting for both pet food and human consumption.
Different regulations are in place regarding the handling of kangaroo carcasses for pet food and HC.
Pig hunting with dogs is popular in different areas and an effective control method when done sensibly.

Hope this answers some of your questions RedTop, cheers mate.

Levon skrev:
my cousin lived there for a couple of years, it was a horrifying experience driving with her for a couple of years after that :lol:

What are you waiting for Levon ???!!!
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav cmk » 24 apr 2017, 16:30

Welcome aboard Finnscout,

Does Sako have a special place in the hearts of Aussies? I seem to recall that you're not the first one from down under to mention Sako favourably. And indeed they are great rifles, so it is quite understandable to like them. However, Sako is a rather small manufacturer on the opposite side of the Earth, but perhaps they made a big export push and made a name for themselves?

/cmk (3 Sakos and counting)
Användarvisningsbild
cmk

Inläggav redtop » 24 apr 2017, 20:20

Finnscout skrev:Hope this answers some of your questions RedTop, cheers mate.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive post. Very interesting reading!

I learned just a couple of weeks ago that Australia has the worlds largest population of wild camels! Seemed very strange but when i got the background explained to me it made sense. I heard they are a real problem nowdays.

In Sweden hunting with loose dogs is very common, and for hunting bigger games (e.g. deer, elk, wild boar) a trained dog must always be stand by for tracking the game in case of a non leathal shot. For hunting of some birds, such as geese, ducks, and doves it is also mandatory to have a retrieving dog.
Is it common to use dogs during hunting in Australia (apart from pigs as you mentioned), and if so, how?

/RedTop
Användarvisningsbild
redtop

Inläggav Finnscout » 27 apr 2017, 13:56

Hi RedTop,

It is not uncommon to use a dog for hunting in Australia and it seems to be becoming more popular for deer stalking
with a dog such as one of the pointer breeds. The German Wirehaired Pointer and the Hungarian Visla are two breeds which spring to mind.

Here is a list of approved hunting dogs from the Game Management Authority (GMA) of Victoria which I'm sure you will find interesting -

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... g-dogs.pdf

Again, regulations vary from state to state but Victoria has had the longest standing Game/Hunting regulations in the country, dating back to the late 1800's I believe.
They have also a long tradition of hunting Sambar deer with hounds. Bloodhounds, Beagles etc.

Only two states have an open season for ducks and quail, Victoria and South Australia.
Dates and duration being season dependant.
Many wing shooters will use a retriever when shooting ducks over water, and pointer types when hunting
other game birds.

Ducks can be hunted in New South Wales under a 'mitigation' permit. ie; when high numbers are causing
crop damage. This is also seasonal.

Both Victoria and South Australia offer game park hunting for introduced pheasants and partridge.

The typical pointer breeds are also used for small game hunting, rabbits and foxes and some use terriers
and 'running' dogs for this purpose also.

I gather by 'loose' dog you mean off the lead/no restraint ?

In NSW when hunting on public land your dog/s must have tracking collars fitted when unrestrained in the field.

Cheers,

Finnscout
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav Stefan.K » 27 apr 2017, 14:26

G'day Finnscout!

Where in oz do you live?

I have had the plesure to visit Aus a few times, great contry with great people!! I have learned to know mostly benchrest shooters in Aus since I shoot benchrest rifles myself. Last time I was down under was from oct-mar 2013-2014. Stayed most of the time with mates in Brisbane but did a few trips south and west. Spent a few weeks around xmas outside Blackall Qld in pretty intresting temperatures :mrgreen: Roo shooting helping a farming mate keeping the roos at bay!
Stefan K

Den beska smaken av dålig kvalitet sitter i bra mycket längre än det låga prisets sötma!
Användarvisningsbild
Stefan.K

Inläggav Finnscout » 27 apr 2017, 14:35

Stefan.K skrev:G'day Finnscout!

Where in oz do you live?

I have had the plesure to visit Aus a few times, great contry with great people!! I have learned to know mostly benchrest shooters in Aus since I shoot benchrest rifles myself. Last time I was down under was from oct-mar 2013-2014. Stayed most of the time with mates in Brisbane but did a few trips south and west. Spent a few weeks around xmas outside Blackall Qld in pretty intresting temperatures :mrgreen: Roo shooting helping a farming mate keeping the roos at bay!

G'day Stefan.K !

I live in the south east of NSW, about 4 hrs south of Sydney.
Lit the fire tonight for the first time this year, just coming into winter.

Cheers
Användarvisningsbild
Finnscout

Inläggav redtop » 27 apr 2017, 15:34

Finnscout skrev:Hi RedTop,

It is not uncommon to use a dog for hunting in Australia and it seems to be becoming more popular for deer stalking
with a dog such as one of the pointer breeds. The German Wirehaired Pointer and the Hungarian Visla are two breeds which spring to mind.

Here is a list of approved hunting dogs from the Game Management Authority (GMA) of Victoria which I'm sure you will find interesting -

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... g-dogs.pdf

Again, regulations vary from state to state but Victoria has had the longest standing Game/Hunting regulations in the country, dating back to the late 1800's I believe.
They have also a long tradition of hunting Sambar deer with hounds. Bloodhounds, Beagles etc.

Only two states have an open season for ducks and quail, Victoria and South Australia.
Dates and duration being season dependant.
Many wing shooters will use a retriever when shooting ducks over water, and pointer types when hunting
other game birds.

Ducks can be hunted in New South Wales under a 'mitigation' permit. ie; when high numbers are causing
crop damage. This is also seasonal.

Both Victoria and South Australia offer game park hunting for introduced pheasants and partridge.

The typical pointer breeds are also used for small game hunting, rabbits and foxes and some use terriers
and 'running' dogs for this purpose also.

I gather by 'loose' dog you mean off the lead/no restraint ?

In NSW when hunting on public land your dog/s must have tracking collars fitted when unrestrained in the field.

Cheers,

Finnscout

Interesting that there are restriction on what breeds can be used for hunting. There are no such restrictions here in Sweden, although I've never seen a poodle used as a hunting dog. :wink:

My English vocabular is somewhat limited so "loose " was the best I could come up with. Unrestreained or unleashed I guess is better.
GPS collars are very commonly used on hunting dogs in Sweden, but it is not mandatory.
Användarvisningsbild
redtop

Nästa

Återgå till International forum