Hi From Australia

This is our interntional part of the forum. In this forum we discuss hunting, shooting, firearms, reloading and much more.
Feel free to ask us anyting in english about the topics mentioned above in this part of the forum.

Moderatorer: taxen, Kari Lindström, potatiskastare, Trond Åsly, mecke, Stefan.K, Ulrik, Fritz Kraut, PerN

Hi From Australia

Inläggav Rifletuner » 03 maj 2019, 06:36

Hi

I was talking to my good friend in Sweden Stefan discussing Moose / Elg hunting opportunities and he suggested I touch base here.

I have been fortunate to shoot at the World Benchrest Championship in Umea back in 2003. Its a great part of the world and I wish I had been able to get back there and spend some more time "Up North" of me. After the WBC in 2003, I managed to shoot a little bit of running moose target in Umea, then spent a couple of days enjoying Stockholm before heading back home to Australia.

When I was younger, I was a very keen hunter, and have hunted through Australia, several countries in Africa and also in the USA. I have also done a lot of BR shooting, and have had the pleasure of representing my country at 6 world benchrest championships in various countries around the world. I still get away on hunting trips too, though not as often as I did when I was younger.

I am fortunate that my son enjoys shooting and hunting. He has done several hunting trips with me. He has also traveled to BR matches with me since he was 5, and started competing himself since around 10 year. He has been an active competitor in Australia since he turned 12 years old, and has managed to win a couple of National bronze and Silver medals since he has been competing.

In the next day or so, I will add to this thread by posting some hunting photos of myself and my son, and also some photos of our rifles.
Rifletuner

Re: Hi From Australia

Inläggav börje » 03 maj 2019, 06:40

hello, and welcome to Robsoft!
I see forward to take part of your pics. I live und hunt close to Vasa in finland, just at the other side of the water from Umeå.
Börje
Jakt är livet
Våga Vägra Varg!!
Finnstövaren Kempin Maija
Grållorna Körttilakian Ella (RIP), Karpaasin Marta o Karpaasin Zazza
Vähäsalon Penni (RIP)
Ordförande i Gnist´s beundrarskara
Ät inte den gula snön!
Wåga Wägra Hen
Användarvisningsbild
börje

Inläggav Brakbrakaren » 03 maj 2019, 09:04

Hi,
Tell us about hunting in Australia. A friend of mine were there working with cattle. Did some hunting as well. I can't decide how much he lied.

:lol:
Brakbrakaren

Inläggav Rifletuner » 04 maj 2019, 09:11

Some photos as promised.

Umea, Sweden
Bild

Australia
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

South Africa
Bild

Bild

Bild

Zambia
Bild

Namibia
Bild

Bild

Bild

New Caladonia
Bild
Rifletuner

Inläggav börje » 04 maj 2019, 15:03

Nice pics. My buffalo is from Zimbabwe 2009, 41". My first africatrip was to namibia, and a had good luck vith goldkudu and goldoryx. I also tok part of a monteria in spain, 414 animals/2 days hunt, 30 rifles. I shot 23 reddeer and 2 nice mufflonbucks
Jakt är livet
Våga Vägra Varg!!
Vähäsalon Penni (RIP)
Ät inte den gula snön!
Wåga Wägra Hen
Användarvisningsbild
börje

Inläggav Rifletuner » 05 maj 2019, 01:24

Borje

That sounds like a real blast in Spain. I have never done any actual hunting in Europe, though I would love to.

Africa is a mostly great place to hunt. I have fortunate to have hunted 4 different countries there on 5 different hunts. My buff hunt in Zambia was great. It was a true wilderness experience, with all the locals subsistence living, just like they would have hundreds of years before. But there was a lot of pressure on the game there. One morning we were out stalking a large herd of buffalo and we found one of the locals with a muzzle loading rifle stalking the same herd. We never caught him, but a few days later we caught a poacher that had been snaring animals with wire snares. He was carrying an impala carcass when we first saw him.

Anyhow, when I finally took my buff, I was very happy with a 38" animal.
Rifletuner

Inläggav Rifletuner » 05 maj 2019, 01:41

I am also very lucky that my son has been a very keen hunter, and we have done some great trips together. He did his first hunt in Namibia, and has hunted in Australia whenever we have been able to.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Rifletuner

Inläggav börje » 05 maj 2019, 15:07

Rifletuner skrev:Borje

That sounds like a real blast in Spain. I have never done any actual hunting in Europe, though I would love to.

Africa is a mostly great place to hunt. I have fortunate to have hunted 4 different countries there on 5 different hunts. My buff hunt in Zambia was great. It was a true wilderness experience, with all the locals subsistence living, just like they would have hundreds of years before. But there was a lot of pressure on the game there. One morning we were out stalking a large herd of buffalo and we found one of the locals with a muzzle loading rifle stalking the same herd. We never caught him, but a few days later we caught a poacher that had been snaring animals with wire snares. He was carrying an impala carcass when we first saw him.

Anyhow, when I finally took my buff, I was very happy with a 38" animal.

When i went to Zim i decided that 38" is minimum because of the price for buffalo. We were lucky to find three daggaboys together, and they were all wery nice bulls. In last daylight i got my chans to shoot, but there was som busch between me and the buffalo, and unluckyli hit a branch, and the bullet went up a little bit. The hit was to high, but we could tell from the blood that it went trough. Next morning we started tracking, and i could finish him after about 2h. He was still able tog get up on his legs when he noticed us, so i gave him a couple of barnes 500gr solids from my 458wm. That was a really happy moment in my huntinglife.
Jakt är livet
Våga Vägra Varg!!
Vähäsalon Penni (RIP)
Ät inte den gula snön!
Wåga Wägra Hen
Användarvisningsbild
börje

Inläggav Rifletuner » 06 maj 2019, 06:33

Yeah, hunting cape buffalo is one of the best hunts you can get in my opinion. I used a 450 Ackley - very similar ballistics to a 458 Lott. I hit my trophy with a Woodleigh 500gn soft nose, then followed up with two 500gn Woodleigh solids while it was running away, and then another solid into the spine once it was on the ground. During the recovery of the buffalo meat, I manged to find all the projectiles. So another nice trophy to remember the hunt by.

Bild

Bild
Rifletuner

Inläggav börje » 06 maj 2019, 13:19

I used A-frame 500 and barnes solids. At home I us a-frame 500 for moosehunting. It might be a bit owerkill, but the bullet is hard, så it goes right throu the animal and doesn't damage the meat more than a caliber .30 that is the most used caliber for moose here.
Jakt är livet
Våga Vägra Varg!!
Vähäsalon Penni (RIP)
Ät inte den gula snön!
Wåga Wägra Hen
Användarvisningsbild
börje

Återgå till International forum